I’m writing two very different stories this weekend, and spending a lot of time researching background for both. There are tons of things I need to know, but these are a start.
- What products were being brought into England by smugglers in 1838? What were the excise issues?
- Who was importing opium to England in the 1830s?
- Would a man who enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1914, who had some university be an officer or could he choose to be a common soldier? And why would he want to?
- Where were the Canadians dug in after the Battle of the Somme in November 1916?
- What government officials, independent of the East India Company, would have been in Canton, China in 1838?
- What was the weather in Picardy in December 1916?
I’m will be working in these all week this week, and I’ll probably find more things I need to know. But first? Coffee!