Well, the ending was worth staying up for even if did run absurdly, insanely long. Warren Beatty gave it to the wrong movie? Unbelievable, but not his fault.
As always, the show was a mixed bag, but it had some good moments:
- The hidden figures actresses introducing the real Katherine Johnson
- Emma Stone’s dress
- The tourists on the bus
- The junior mints
- The commercials—by and large better than this year’s Super Bowl. Some brilliant
- The multilingual montage: Movies are the universal language
- Sunny Pawar, the little boy from Lion
And the usual collection of lame moments
- The Rock’s introduction of Lin-Manuel Miranda
- Most of the presenters (Seth Rogan /Michael J Fox being the only exception)
- Kimmel’s OJ joke
- ABC’s red carpet snore fest
- Most of the speeches
- Dakota Johnson’s dress
- Did I mention the presenters?
Ok. Back to work. But first, coffee. It was a late night.